- What Customer Information the Company collects from you;
- How the Company collects that Customer Information;
- For what purpose(s) the Company collects Customer Information (in other words, how the Company uses your Customer Information and what legal grounds it has for collecting and using your Customer Information);
- How the Company stores and secures your Customer Information;
- How long the Company will store your Customer Information;
- Whether and with what categories of third parties the Company will share your Customer Information;
- What rights you have to have your Customer Information changed, deleted, or moved, or to restrict how we may share your Customer Information; and
- How you may file a complaint against us for violating the relevant data protection laws and regulations, or our own policy;
- Our contact information; and
- The foregoing notwithstanding, we do not direct our Website to children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We divide the Customer Information we collect into three categories:
- Personally Identifiable Information: This may include your name, physical address, e-mail address, telephone number, fax number, and credit card information.
- Special Categories of Data: This may include gender, race, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
- Automatically Collected Information: This will include your computer’s IP address, the type of browser, operating system, and information about which parts of the Website you visit and how long you spend on the Website.
3. HOW DO WE COLLECT CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- With respect to Personally Identifiable Information, we collect this information only with your consent, when you voluntarily provide the information to us in order to register for membership with the American Economic Association or for an account on our Website, to subscribe to receive journals from us, to view and respond to job postings, or to participate in services offered on the website.
- With respect to Special Categories of Data, we collect this information only to the extent you consent to voluntarily provide this information. This information is not required for use of our Website or engaging with our organization. At the point at which we solicit the collection of this information, you will be expressly notified of the particular data that is being requested for collection and the purpose for which this information is collected, and you will have the option to not provide this information.
With respect to Automatically Collected Information: we collect this information through:
Cookies: A cookie is a small file placed on the hard drive of your computer. "Session" cookies are only stored during a web site visit and expire when the web browser is closed. "Persistent" cookies remain on your hard drive after a web session is over until a set expiry date, and allow a website to remember your login and preferences for your next visit.
4. HOW DO WE USE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION, AND WHAT ARE OUR GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- We use your Personally Identifiable Information to fulfill your orders for journals, and to communicate with you regarding such orders or delivery of services, or about membership if you are a member of our organization, or to respond to communication from you. Our basis for processing information for this purpose is that when you subscribe to our journals, become a member of our organization, or participate in the JOE Network, conference submission and registration, or any other online services, we have a contract with you to provide those goods, services, and information.
- We use your Personally Identifiable Information to send you informational news and surveys related to the economics profession when you provide such information to us voluntarily and subject to your rights set forth in Section 8.
- We use Automatically Collected Information about you to enhance your experience on the Website by allowing you to customize your preferences and allowing the Website to remember those preferences and remember your login, but only with your consent, which you provide by opting in to those services when you visit the Website, and subject to your rights set forth in Section 8.
- We store your Customer Information to be able to communicate with you as set forth in subsections (a) and (b) above, and to keep complete records about our members, subscribers, and participants in online services for our legitimate internal business purposes, subject to your rights set forth in Section 8.
- We may process your Customer Information where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the protection and assertion of our legal rights, your legal rights and the legal rights of others.
- We may process your Customer Information where necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, or obtaining professional advice. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper protection of our business against risks.
- In addition to the specific purposes for which we may process your personal data set out in this Section 3, we may also process your Customer Information where such processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
- We use any Special Category Information that you voluntarily elect to provide to us solely with your consent and for our internal purposes to learn more about our membership. This data will not be published, disclosed, or sold to third parties or provided to third parties for any purpose and is securely stored through our third-party hosting Service Vendors.
5. HOW DOES THE COMPANY STORE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION AND KEEP IT SECURE?
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect Customer Information against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss, unauthorized alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access, misuse, and any other unlawful form of processing of the Customer Information in our possession. This includes, for example, firewalls, password protection and other access and authentication controls. We use SSL technology to encrypt data during transmission through the public internet. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Service, and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If you believe your Customer Information has been compromised, please contact us as set forth in the "How to Contact Us" section. If we learn of a security systems breach, we will inform you and the authorities of the occurrence of the breach in accordance with applicable law.
6. HOW LONG DOES THE COMPANY RETAIN YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
We retain Customer Information as long as deemed necessary in order to maintain order histories and membership records for our legitimate internal business purposes, and, subject to your rights as set forth in Section 8.
7. TO WHAT CATEGORIES OF THIRD PARTIES DO WE SHARE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- We do not sell, rent or lease Customer Information for marketing purposes.
- We may share your information with third parties such as our attorneys or law enforcement agencies in order to defend against legal claims or comply with legal obligations, or in order to protect your vital interests or the interests of another person. If we are notified that we must share your Customer Information in such a circumstance, we will notify you first if possible and provide you with information, if available, as to how you may object to our sharing your Customer Information.
- Special Categories of Data is never shared or disclosed to third parties and is securely stored through our third-party hosting Service Vendors.
8. WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION THAT WE POSSESS?
By contacting us at email@example.com you may
- Request a copy of the Customer Information we have about you, including the categories of third parties with whom we have shared your Confidential Information. The first copy of this information will be provided free of charge each year. Subsequent copies will be subject to a reasonable fee for delivery and for our time in preparing the copies;
- Request that your Customer Information be corrected or completed;
- Request that we cease processing your Customer Information in certain ways (for example, sharing your Customer Information with our Service Vendors) if you believe your Customer Information is inaccurate;
- Request that your Customer Information be transmitted to another data controller in a reasonably acceptable format. Your Customer Information will be transmitted under this request for a reasonable fee for delivery and for our time in preparing the Customer Information for delivery in the requested format; and/or
Request that your Customer Information be erased.
For any requests of the nature set out in subsections 8(a) through 8(d), we will comply with your request without undue delay after verifying your identity, or inform you in writing as to why we cannot comply with your request and what alternatives, if any, may be available to you.
For requests of the nature set out in subsection 8(e), we will comply with your request without undue delay unless your Customer Information is still necessary for the stated purpose for which it was collected, such as that we still have contractual obligations to you, unless we are required to erase your Customer Information for a legal or regulatory reason. If we are unable to erase your Customer Information, we will inform you in writing as to why we cannot comply with your request and what alternatives, if any, may be available to you.
You may notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
10. OUR CONTACT INFORMATION:American Economic Association, a non-profit corporation incorporated in Washington, D.C.
2014 Broadway Suite 305
Nashville, TN 37203